+91 98440 18630 / 99000 98630

Comments (0)  |  Comments This Article

As a Matter of Fact…………..

In the last issue of Built Constructions, I touched upon conscious partnering in reducing Construction and Demolition waste as this is one of our utmost concerns. As per the study conducted by Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council (TIFAC) - total quantum of waste generated by the construction industry is estimated to be between 12 to 14.7 million tonnes per annum, out of which seven to eight million tonnes are concrete and brick waste. Interestingly, according to the survey, 70% of the respondents were not aware of the recycling techniques and the remaining 30% indicated that they were not even aware of recycling possibilities.

Furthermore, the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and other codal provisions do not provide specifications for the use of recycled products in construction activities. Under these circumstances, the 3R principle-'Reduce Reuse Recycle' attains

greater importance. This issue, in continuation touches upon concrete repair techniques appropriately. In India there has yet to be a concerted effort to enact legislation governing C&D waste management. There are however some initiatives in different states to address the issue in isolation, or in tandem with the existing Municipal Solid Waste (Management and Handling) Rules, 2000.

I am also tempted to write a few words about the optimism generated by the new government due to its several developmental approaches. With a projected growth rate of 7.5 per cent in 2015-16, India is poised to become the world's fastest growing major economy, fuelling global growth at a time when advanced economies are under stress and other emerging economies are slowing down. By 2019, the Indian economy is expected to be doubled compared with 2009.

The Indian construction market which is currently the fourth-largest sector in the country in terms of foreign direct investment (FDI) inflows is expected to be the world's third largest by 2020 after USA and China. The market is expected to more than double to US$ 649.5 billion by 2020 from US$ 360 billion in 2010. FDI in the sector is estimated to grow to US$ 25 billion in 10 years-as per the latest reports. It is also heartening to know that the Real estate is expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.2 per cent during FY 2008-2020 to touch US$ 180 billion by 2020.

The impact of this expected growth is also going to be felt in the social sector. The entry of major private players in the education sector has created vast opportunities for the real estate sector. Emergence of nuclear families and growing urbanisation has given rise to several townships that are developed to take care of the elderly. A number of senior citizen housing projects have been planned, and the segment is expected to grow significantly in future. Growth in the number of tourists has resulted in demand for service apartments. This demand is likely to be on the uptrend and presents opportunities for the unorganized sector.

Complementing PMO's initiative, the environment ministry has also drawn up a "comprehensive plan" for the management of urban green spaces especially in the proposed 100 smart city scheme. Town planners in the government sector need to understand the fact that the trees and forest cover are critical for ensuring ground water recharge, providing shade and conserving local biodiversity, improving the quality of life for city dwellers by providing recreational avenues besides other things and only this way, urban greens would be a significant part of the smart city plan; otherwise, cities would only resemble concrete jungles.

There are other articles of interest too as a routine. Please enjoy reading Built Constructions and be in touch with the latest trends emerging in construction industry.

News & Events

Post Covid-19 Action Plan for Real Estate and Construction Sector
There has been no other time as profound, impactful and with direct consequence(s), as the pres....Read more...
Siemens offers integrated solutions for smart city development

New urbans sector initiatives like the Smart City Mission and Housing for All Mission came i....Read more...

Read More

Current Issue

Post Covid19 Action Plan
Click to see E-Flip Book
  • ACC Cement
  • Zuari Cement
  • BASF
  • Discoy
  • MC
  • Perma
  • Pidilite
  • Potential
  • Ramco Cement
  • Sobha Developers Ltd
  • Supreme Industries
  • suvilas
  • Synergy
  • Ultratech Cement
  • VME
  • Wienerberger
  • Zonasha